Mulch is any type of material that is spread over the surface of soil to enhance the health and look of your garden bed. There are many types of mulch available, and bark mulch is one of the most beneficial types. It’s made out of tree bark shredded into fine, medium, and large pieces for top dressing your garden beds.
There are many benefits to using bark mulch:
- Retains moisture in the soil
- Adds a layer of protection for plants against weather
- Suppresses weeds
- Keeps dust from blowing around
- Keeps the soil cool
- Makes the garden bed look more attractive by dressing up the beds with texture and colour
- Lasts a long time
- Helps improve the soil’s fertility, as it decomposes
Bark mulch is especially beneficial in creating a favourable environment for earthworms and soil microorganisms, which over time, helps reduce soil compaction.
About five to eight centimetres around trees and shrubs is all you need to add a decorative touch to your landscape, while your soil enjoys the many advantages bark mulch provides.
With the many varieties of size and colour available for bark mulch, contact The Grounds Guys for help in choosing the best type for your lawn and garden needs.