If you still water your lawn manually, you may stick with this technique because you’re worried that installing an automatic sprinkler system will increase your monthly water bill. Rest assured that most sprinklers improve watering efficiency to lower your water usage! Use the information here to help you determine if the costs associated with a sprinkler system are worth it, and how to maximize your investment.
Costs Associated with an Automatic Sprinkler System
All you need to water your lawn manually is a garden hose and a few attachments, depending on the types of plants you have. The costs associated with an automatic sprinkler system are more involved. Here’s what to expect:
- Installation: Professional installation is more expensive than a DIY approach, but you’ll benefit from a job well done and minimal disruption to your daily schedule.
- Repairs and maintenance: You’ll need to repair leaks and sprinkler head malfunctions promptly to prevent increased water bills.
- Winterizing: It’s necessary to blow out and shut down the sprinkler system in the fall to avoid frozen pipes.
Benefits of Automatic Sprinkler Systems
While there are significant costs to consider, the benefits could certainly be worth the investment:
- Just the right amount: Garden irrigation is an art. If you water your plants too little, they may begin wilting. If you water them too much, you could inadvertently drown their roots. An automated irrigation system featuring soil moisture sensors and weather forecast data makes it easy to walk that fine line between too little and too much water.
- Perfect timing: Efficient lawn watering is all about the timing. Did you know early morning is the best time to irrigate? After all, watering during the day leads to increased evaporation, and watering in the evening can result in poor water absorption. Early-morning watering also decreases the likelihood of lawn diseases as plants thrive with at least six hours of drying time before temperatures drop during the night. If you don’t like waking up at 5 a.m. to set up the sprinklers, you’ll love having an automated system that does the job for you.
- Water when you’re out of town: Going away on summer vacation is enough to ruin your lush lawn for the remainder of the season. However, with an automatic sprinkler system, you can set the timer, turn on the sensors, and leave knowing your grass will remain green while you’re gone.
How to Maximize the Benefits of Your Automatic Sprinkler System
Get the most from your investment with these tips:
- Decide which type of irrigation system to install: There are many techniques for watering your lawn and garden, including sprinkler, drip, surface, and subsurface irrigation systems. Then, you have different sprinkler heads to consider, including oscillating, revolving, stationary, and others. Each has their benefits, and all are worth considering before you install one or the other.
- Install an irrigation meter: Many municipalities allow home and business owners to install irrigation meters alongside the sprinkler system. This deducts the water used outside from your sewer costs, helping to reduce your overall water bills.
- Follow efficient watering practices: Learn the irrigation requirements for your region. Adjust the sprinklers to water your grass and plants, not the sidewalk. Irrigate the lawn in longer, less frequent sessions to encourage deep root growth. Avoid watering on windy days.
Install a Sprinkler System and Lower Your Monthly Water Bill Today!
If you’re interested in benefiting from an automatic sprinkler system, let The Grounds Guys® assist you. We carefully design and install residential and commercial irrigation systems to meet your precise watering requirements. We also perform affordable, reliable services to keep your sprinkler system in top working condition for many seasons to come.
To schedule a free consultation and installation estimate, contact The Grounds Guys today!