Spring is in the air, and that means you’re probably thinking about how to prepare your yard for warmer weather. If you’re in search of some inspiration, consider these spring trends and the benefits they provide in your back yard.
- Entertainment: If you often have friends and neighbours over on summer evenings, now’s the time to transform your backyard landscape into one designed for entertaining. Hardscaped surfaces for tables and chairs, a fire pit, and an outdoor kitchen are all trendy right now.
- Family fun: Homeowners with kids need a different type of landscape. A swing set, sandbox, sturdy trees for hammocks, seating area and fully fenced-in yard are all important for safe family fun.
- Low maintenance: If you don’t want to spend a lot of time maintaining your landscape, plant native trees and grass, xeriscape areas to eliminate the need for watering or mowing, and install a pergola to shade and protect the seating area.
Spring Garden Trends
- Creative flowerbed shapes: You’re not required to stick with traditional square and rectangular flowerbeds if you don’t want to. Curvy edges that mimic your home’s architecture or the shape of your lawn create a trendy, appealing look.
- Texture, height, colours and shapes: The most aesthetically pleasing flowerbeds incorporate a variety of flowers that not only bloom at different times, but also showcase different textures, heights, colours and shapes. If you’re not sure what to plant together, seek a professional landscape designer’s advice.
- White and green: While you can choose flowers of any colour for your spring garden, consider incorporating a bit of white and green to provide a cooling effect during the day and a slight “glow” at night.
Water Garden Trends
- Pond: A backyard pond is the perfect opportunity to introduce a little wildlife into your garden. A properly installed, well-maintained pond can support fish for many summers. The water is also sure to attract songbirds and small mammals for you to enjoy from your patio.
- Waterfall: The sound of rushing water is known to promote relaxation. If you’re looking for a way to unwind after a long day, installing a waterfall in your back yard could be the perfect solution.
- Bubbler or fountain: These types of water features add a unique focal point to your yard. You’ll be excited to invite guests to sit and relax next to the water feature you install this spring.
Landscape Lighting Trends
- Solar landscape lights: The type of outdoor lights you choose impacts your home’s energy efficiency. With solar-powered lights, you can enjoy a warm glow in the evening without increasing your energy bills one bit. That’s why solar landscape lights are definitely trendy right now.
- Special features: Homeowners want full control over their landscape lights. Special features such as dimmer switches, motion detectors, timers and light sensors offer the right amount of control you need to make your landscape lights work just the way you want them to.
- Path and walkway lights: While many landscape lights are there to highlight a unique water feature or architectural detail on the house, others serve a more functional purpose. If you install outdoor lights nowhere else, consider using them to light garden paths, stairs and walkways. A little extra light goes a long way in preventing a misstep that could lead to a painful injury.
If you need help implementing any of these spring trends, please contact The Grounds Guys® today. We have experience installing and maintaining landscapes, gardens, water features and landscape lights.